Wednesday, March 1, 2023

The Age of AI

From the documentary Frontline on PBS, I learned about AI's developments, but I learned more about the state of our country. 

One statistic I learned is that the standard of living has dropped 15%. The other shocking figure is that 50% of Americans cannot afford an unexpected expensive of $400. That is 150 million people living paycheck to paycheck. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around that idea simply because of my surroundings, but it definitely makes me rethink my perspective on the state of the American economy.


This chart only goes up to 2011, but it shows the trend of our spending maintaining its growth, but our incomes are dropping. 

To connect these ideas back to new technology, this documentary suggests that the growth of this field will hurt the economy further by eliminating the basic jobs. Some people argue that the growth of technology provides jobs in the field as well, but the difference is that these new jobs will require expensive schooling, so they won't be open to anyone. 

The new capabilities of these innovations are interesting, but it is more prudential to consider where we will actually feel the impact. I believe this to be in the cost of living to increase while the median annual incomes do not keep up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

  The pros and cons of modern technology and, more specifically, social media have been discussed over the last decade and I always hear a r...