Tuesday, February 7, 2023

EOTO Presentation Reflection

One thing I learned from the EOTO presentations is that Youtube sold to Google in 2006 because of litigation costs. I grew up watching Youtube, so I knew that the copyright issue was prevalent. Google already owned Youtube when I started watching, so I never considered the copyright issue to be that detrimental to the business. It makes sense, however, that they took the $1.65 billion offer and got to avoid all of the legal trouble that followed. 

Another modern form of communication that I learned about was Netflix. I knew that Netflix started as mailing DVD's, but I didn't realize how early they began streaming services. I binged my first Netflix show in 2013 when I was 12 years old. Netflix began offering streaming in 2007. They had already been streaming movies and TV shows for 6 years at that point. It's incredible the influence streaming has had on our generation.


One historical form of communication that I learned about was the Printing Press, or rather, the inventor. The Printing Press was invented by Johannes Gutenberg in 1453. He died in 1468 before seeing the true success of his invention. Then, in 1517, Martin Luther used Gutenberg's press to print his 95 Theses which essentially started Protestantism. So, thanks to Gutenberg, people began reading the bible on their own and thinking for themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

  The pros and cons of modern technology and, more specifically, social media have been discussed over the last decade and I always hear a r...